Monday, March 21, 2016

New Oil and Cold Wax Paintings



Oil and Cold Wax painting - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
9" x 6" on oil paper - 2016


As I continued to recover from my recent knee surgery the first real sign that I really was better was the mounting desire to get back on my feet into the studio.  I have shared my desire to paint with you via this blog on other occasions and I felt it was a good time to return to that desire.

I have taken workshops with both Lisa Pressman and Lisa Boardwine in past years but due to unusual circumstances in my life I haven't been able to carry forward what I learned  into an ongoing practice.  Now I believe I've gotten a good start.

I have worked with cradled boards as well as oil paper but decided to work with the paper now as I felt more of a kinship with the paper.  One of the biggest hurdles working with the paper is the small size.  This is especially strange for me as I tend to work very large when working with fabric.  No matter.  At some point in the future I will progress to boards and a larger format.




Oil and Cold Wax painting - Terry Jarrard-Dimond
9" x 6" on oil paper - 2016


While I have worked with the R&F oil sticks, these pieces were created exclusively with oil paint and cold wax.  I enjoy the immediacy of squirting out the color, mixing it with the wax and getting to work.  I have a small collection of the oil sticks and will introduce them as I continue.  They work beautifully for bold marks as well as mixing with the cold wax for general painting.

If you haven't followed along with how my work has changed over the past few years this work may seem very different but in fact it is very much a blend of the hard edge intently colored work I began with and the later more painterly work. 

It has been a very joyful experience to be able to go to the studio, stand and work and not leave with painful knees.