Monday, June 8, 2015

What Happens In the Studio


X-Ray Vision - Terry Jarrard-Dimond


When I enter the studio with the intention of beginning new work I am as nervous as a cat.  I'm anxious to get started and hoping something great will reveal itself.  I often have an idea that began to form during the making of a previous piece and that idea is swirling around in my head.  It doesn't mean I'm going to do this specifically but it is a seed of an idea that gets me going.

Most artist have some routine they must go through in order to get started.  It might be sitting and reading, drinking a cup of coffee or clearing the clutter.  This routine is helping them get centered and ready to settle into working.  My routine is often all of these things.  It is a quiet time.

Working with fabric often means rummaging through containers of fabric, sorting and resorting, then pinning things on the design wall until you begin to see something happening.  The process is one decision after another and works will often stay in the part of the process for many days until you get that special Happy Feeling that means you have answered the questions you have set forth for yourself for this piece.  The work is then stitched together and the finishing begins.

One of the most important parts of the studio experience is that you learn to ACT ON YOUR IDEAS.
That will be my next topic.

Thank you for stopping by
Studio 24-7.